Technically it's Sunday but it's my college homecoming and as a junior and the President of two organizations my Shoutout Saturday is being done now, on Sunday morning @ 5 a.m.
Enjoy this blog by a fellow blogger eyekandee05.. is it something everyone should read.
I can honestly say that it took a lot out of me to get up this morning and go to church. And no I’m not ashamed to say that because I’m real. The spirit of laziness was upon me so strongly…but the Holy Spirit was even stronger. I’m so glad that I made the DECISION to go, because the Word was just what I needed to hear. It would be selfish and unfulfilling of me not to share such a powerful message with you all…hope your spirit-man is edified with what you are about to read. Please feel free to share what you’ve learned (both good and bad) with others by leaving a comment.
“How long will you not decide between two choices?” (1Kings 18:21 NCV)
*A decision is an opportunity you have to determine your destiny
*Your life is the sum total of all your decisions: good, bad, or none.
*The longer you vacillate in a decision, the fewer your options and the weaker you become. Elijah said, “How long will you go LIMPING between two options?” (ESV)
* One GOOD decision can start you out of the mess of many BAD decisions.
WHAT IS A GOOD DECISION?
1. A good decision is based on the wisdom of the scripture (2 Corin 6)
2. A good decision is based on the witness of the spirit. Trust in the Lord and lean not to our own understanding.
3. A good decision is neither hasty nor fearful. We are hasty when we don’t have all the facts and fearful when we will not take an action.
4. A good decision is based on your core values. When you know your core values (honesty, purity, frugality, etc.) then 95% of your decisions are already made.
5. A good decision is something that is based on your calling. What may be a good idea for others could be a very bad “fit” for your future. It is a known fact that we take heed to other people’s advice, but most times we need to listen to the Holy Spirit.
WHAT IS A BAD DECISION?
1. Anything based upon fear – fear brings haste
2. Anything based upon appearance- Eve and the fruit ~ we are awed by what we see, but it’s an illusion. We can tell appearance within the first few minutes, but not CHARACTER!
3. Anything based upon the short-term; you must be prepared to face the long term consequences
4. Anything based upon speculation; you must have a contingency plan. Saul says get rich quick schemes doesn’t provide lasting wealth.
5. Anything based upon emotion. Frustration, anger, depression will all bring bad decisions. (Joshua 7)…never cut down a tree in the winter, because you can’t decipher whether it is dead or alive, for the spring may bear fruit.
WHAT IS NO DECISION?
1. When my feelings or friendships get in the way of doing what is right
2. When my fear of making a wrong move paralyzes me until others end up making decisions for me.
3. When I don’t want the responsibility of leadership and prefer to be told what to do.
4. When I am over-confident that I have plenty of time to decide and procrastinate until my options are gone.
5. When I am filled with remorse and regret every time I make a decision for fear that I made the wrong one. It causes me to quickly change back and forth numerous times as each position makes me insecure. Make a decision and live with it.
STEPS TO GOOD DECISION MAKING
1. Repent for bad decisions. They have brought no glory to God and came from your flesh rather than your spirit.
2. Check your core values with Scripture. Find out what God’s word says about your decision more than market values or previous relationships. Commit to the Word instead of emotions.
3. Write down risks and benefits to see which one out-weighs the other.
4. Trust the Lord within you. Your mind may be fooled, but your HEART is smart!
5. LET YOUR DECISION STAND! Most mistakes are made when we second guess ourselves. People cannot follow you if you keep changing your mind.
*** If you want to know where you will be in 5 years, look at the decisions you are making NOW!