Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Secret Behind the What Questions

Philo (love) +Sophos (wisdom) = philosophy, which is defined as "a love of wisdom and a pursuit of knowledge."

I love my philosophy class, I love it because it makes me think. The questions asked of me are ones I can't answer right off the back. They are like challenges to me, problems that need to be solved but have no one solution. They are puzzles that need to be put together but there are pieces missing.

Someone once said, "philosophy breaks no bread... it inspires our soul with courage." And I believe it does. Philosophy opens our eyes and forces us to ask questions. The funny thing is, these questions are ones that people ask themselves over a lifetime.

What is good? What is true? What is beauty? What is knowledge? What is real? What is love? Whether people know it or not these questions influence life's decisions. The answers to the questions help us to develop our outlook on the world and on our personal values. They guide us like lit paths. They don't keep us from getting lost but the light they provide bring us back to where we need to be.

I wonder if I would still be the same person had I never set in on that very first philosophy class. If I would have never asked myself those questions that professor... hmmm. I think I'll return to pursuing my knowledge now.

No comments: